The PFDP’s Statement on Horrific Incidence of Gang Rape in Lahore and Role of Police
Pakistan Forum for Democratic Policing (PFDP) strongly condemns the gang-rape incident on Lahore Motorway and demand for the immediate arrest of the culprits and measures for speedy justice to the survivor. The Forum is seriously concerned about the misogynous and insensitive statement by the CCPO Lahore. The Victim blaming attitude of the police is a major hurdle for a survivor to seek justice that needs to be addressed. As a civil society group, we demand that political interference in the administrative matters of police must be stopped. The appointment of a 6th IGP in two years period is seriously undermining the police performance. The Forum demands citizen-centric reforms in the Police.
We demand to:
- Raise the number of women in police and appoint more women police on senior positions to ensure crime against women are handled in a sensitive and effective way.
- Devise and put in place internal and external accountability systems with greater emphasis on public oversight mechanisms.
- Establish Public Safety Commissions and Police Complaint Authorities to ensure appointments, postings, transfers, and security of tenures of police officers, including IGs/PPOs.
- The promotion criteria of police officials should be based on performance and should include; fulfilling his/her plans, achieving the tasks assigned by senior management, and public feedback.
- Allocation of appropriate budgets to police to cater their needs for human resource, training, equipment, and infrastructure.